Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Computer

Our main present to each other this Christmas is a new computer. It is a Gateway laptop. Top of the line 17" screen dual core P8700 with INVIDIA Geforce GTX 2600M video card with 4gb DDR3 Memory. Good enough graphics for gaming, Extended life battery (6 hours), built in web cam with Windows 7.

It has taken me most of a day to set it up and get it running. It will take a while to get used to Windows 7. Just when you get used to one way of doing things, they change it.

The Old laptop is now more or less dedicated to being an Audio Studio. I have started converting my old vinyl to MP3. Then they need to be edited and stuff. Some of the really old stuff has so much hiss and pop that the software can't tell where one song stops and the next one starts, so I have to go in later and divide the tracks up and title them.

We went and saw Avatar today. Quite the Movie. Incredible Computer Generated Imaging. I've
seen some great stuff in games, but it is pretty much static background with a figure moving through it. Three dimensional continuous CGI. I can't imagine how much computer time went into making the movie. I give it four starts on a one to five star ranking.

4 comments:

~grey said...

Happy New Year, Mr. Al!!

I went and saw Avatar too a couple of days ago! My goodness what a great movie!! For me it was hard to tell that it was Computer generated and not real. Loved everything about it!!!

Al said...

Happy New Year to you too!

Avatar really did a great job of blurring the line between CGI and Film. We will definitely be buying it when it comes out on DVD.

sue said...

Congrats on the new 'puter... I just love me a new 'puter. :)

We went to Avatar in 3D as well. Not your old 3D, that's for sure! Excellent!

Al said...

Sue: Mrs A and I were talking about going to see it in IMAX 3D.