Tuesday, March 27, 2012

If I had a Hammer.....

Oh, that's right, I do.
After considering all the alternatives, I went to Lowes after work to price out the cost of an air hammer. Turns out they are really cheap, like $20, so I am now the proud owner of a Kobalt Air hammer and chisels.
Now I just need the time to get out there and chisel the hell out of the upper ball joint retention plate rivets. Nothing like beating on your truck with a hammer to make you feel better.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

A new Joint

No, no, not that kind of joint.
Upper ball joint.
That's what broke on the truck.
What was once an assembly now is a disassembly.
So I bought new ball joints for both sides last night. Not too expensive, like seventy five bucks. The big hassle is that the old ones, the top plate is riveted in. You have to drill out the rivets. I am inclined to go get a pneumatic hammer and a cold chisel bit, It should be a lot easier than either drilling them out or hand chiseling the heads off.
I bought both sides. Chances are if one side is worn out completely, the other can't be far behind.
I have to work both days this weekend, then on Monday I have two doctor's appointments, so it isn't going to get done then. The next weekend we are going to the Lake Quinault Lodge for three days, so it won't get done then, so it looks like I will have to schedule it in for the weekend of April 7th. That weekend is also Mrs A's birthday, so I will have to set aside one day for her. I know she has a CAT scan scheduled for the 9th so that takes away Monday. That leaves only the 8th.
Doable as long as nothing goes awry.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Free Wheelin'

But not in a good way.
When the light changed and I went on to Renton Ave. this morning, after I had straightened out, the driver's side front wheel and tire came loose from the car.
The didn't depart the vehicle. They were still hanging around the wheel well, they just weren't ATTACHED to anything.
I called home and asked Mrs A to call a tow truck. So we got it home on a flatbed and into the driveway, I switched vehicles to the Westfalia and I got in to work two hours late.
I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck happened.
The lugnuts are all still on the wheel.
The rotor is still in place on the vehicle, but the wheel is not attached to anything.
Oh well, I guess I'll find out when I get it up on jackstands.
Not a good way to start the day.