Thursday, August 05, 2010

Glass Class







Here are some pictures of my first projects in my glass blowing class. I am pleased with them as first attempts.

The fluted bowl came out pretty much as I planned, except I wanted more red at the bottom. Doing a full red to orange to yellow color shift as you go upwards. I cut the globe too close to the bottom or something because very little of the red came through. I guess I should have gone for one more dip in the red. Oh well, pretty darn good for a first attempt.

Of course I had lots of help from the instructor.

The two paperweights were made using a "Blow and Suck" technique.


Hey you in the back of the room! I hear that snicker......cut that out right now!


You basically blow a small globe, and then suck in all the air, causing the globe to collapse, then cover it over with a layer of clear to create the globe.


The floppy bowl was a lot more technically complicated, but I had a lot of help from the instructor. There are only two people in the class, and the other on couldn't make it, so I had three hours of private instruction.
I'm not sure exactly what to expect. It was a lot hotter than I expected. The rule was more or less "First degree burns are expected. Second degree burns are bad, third degree to be avoided at all costs" I suppose over time you must develop thick skin or something. I had to back off several times when I thought I had too much heat, but I was fine this morning, although I noticed that all the small hairs on my hands are pretty much gone.
I'm not sure what to do next. Probably a vase and some votives.

Maybe a mug.

4 comments:

Rick said...

VERY cool! Where's the class? Can you make me a purple-to-red bong?

Al said...

The class is offered through Renton Technical College, and is held at Uptown Glassworks in Renton.
I believe bong making is under the torchwork portion of class, and we haven't gotten that far yet........

rennratt said...

i love both projects that you have completed so far!

I look forward to the pictures of the "creative vase" that you will be creating for Rick.

Al said...

renn: It was fun working with glass. A real challenge. Unfortunately, not the kind of glass blowing that includes Bong Making. That is torch work.