Friday, May 31, 2013

The Best Laid Plans

Of mice and men aft gang askew.
The house needs new gutters and downspouts. It has for some time. It has gotten to the point that when it rains, it spills out right over the front steps. It is very irritating walking through a cold shower to get in or out.
So we called a gutter guy.
He said he couldn't help us until we got the roof fixed. He handed us over to his "roofing guy". The roofing guy said it was too late to update the roof, it needed to be replaced. I have been dreading this for the last couple of years.
I had the roof replaced with a 20 year guarantee roof, about nineteen years ago. I knew it was about time to renew the roof, but it is not currently leaking, and I am of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So the roofing guy is writing up an estimate, and meanwhile we are getting a second estimate.
Since I want to retire in less than two years, we want to get the house ready to sell before then. I knew that a roof replacement was one of the probable improvements we would have to do before we would be able to sell, I just wasn't prepared to do it NOW.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well at least now you can start doing it. It can get bothersome dealing with all the contractors you need to repair something essential for your house, such as your roof and gutters. But it's better to have it repaired than deal with leaks later on and you're caught unprepared.

O.N. Andrew & Son, Inc.

Al said...

Absolutely. It's been six weeks since I started this, and Monday they start actually doing the work.I will slle better at night knowing it is out of the way.