Friday, September 09, 2016

Fiddleback Spoon


I recently cut down a medium sized Maple tree for firewood for next winter. I figure I got about a cord and a half of wood out of it
While splitting the wood I came across a real nice small piece of fiddle back maple. Fiddle back can be very valuable in large quantities. Say large enough to make a fiddle.
This piece was not nearly big enough to make a fiddle, so I wondered what else I could do with it. I also had come across a couple of interesting burls, and I have always loved burl wood. So first I took a small burl, cleaned it up and put a finish on it. Digging out the interior of the burl turned out to be a real chore. I had a real cheap set of wood carving tools, but they just weren't equal to the task.
So I went on the Internet and see what was available.
I came across a set of "Swedish Spoon Knives" that looked like they would do the trick.
I finished the burl and it came out real nice, and we are using it as a display for a small decorative art marble we had.
After I was through with that, i was pondering what to do next. I thought of that small piece of fiddle back sitting in the garage. Swedish Spoon Knives + fiddle back maple = fiddle back spoon.
I have never been trained in wood working, but have Fiddled around at it, so I  hand carved the piece into a spoon.
Here are the results. Not bad for a first time. It was fun. I have been going through the stacks of firewood looking for more fiddleback. I have a few more pieces set aside to turn into spoons. It will be something to keep me busy this winter.
I also have a couple more burls that I will attempt to turn into bowls.

No comments: