Monday, July 04, 2005

Jazz Alley II

I heard that Robben Ford was going to be at Jazz Alley this weekend, so it was dinner, drinks and a show again on Saturday. Carol wanted to know if we could afford ir, and all I had to say was "If I can't afford to go see a show and have dinner when I want, what the hell am I working for?" We spend most of our disposable income on kids and grandkids, so they can just cut back their expectations for a while. Besides, next weekend Acoustic Alchemy is going to be there, and I am not going to miss that show. When they were in town last year, I had other committments.

I have one month left to get things done for when Rick and Rachel and the kids are here for two weeks. I just hope Carol doesn't obsess too much about the house. Martha Stewart living will never feature our home, but it is comfortable and functional and I like it the way it is. Sure, there are things I would change if I had several thousand dollars to spare.

Today is the Fourth, and I can't help but stop for a minute and think about a small group of determined men who dared commit high treason against a tyrannical and opressive rule by a physically superior group of people in a foreign country, to inspire a belief in freedom that has changed and inspired the world. I also worry that the country that was born of opression and the desire for freedom has come to the conclusion that it is our responsibility to enforce our will throughout the world, whether we have justification or not. There was no smoking gun, no WMD. So, shame on all you newly discovered Conservatives who have abandoned your principles to cower behind your big daddy and declare "My daddy can beat up your daddy". That doesn't make him or you right. Whay kind of loyalty do you profess when you turn tail at the first sign of adversity and join the very forces that create the atmosphere of distrust and suspicion that makes things ripe for ferment? Go bow to your newly found gods of power and oil.

OBTW, just in case anyone thinks to claim higher ground, I am a disabled Vet who served our country proudly, and I support our troops, no matter what insanity our leaders have gotten them into.

No comments: