Wednesday, July 27, 2005

NewZ

My 77 Datsun 280Z was in a car show last week, so I hurried and put my new exterior rear view mirrors on for the show. When I got the mirrors, the Z Store included a new catalogue. In perusing it there were several "I gotta have that" moments. Consequently when the opportunity to work this weekend came up, I saw Z parts in the budget.

When I was taking a break, I called up the Boeing Classified ads on-line. There I ran accross an ad that said "Free: 1978 Datsun 280Z, must be moved by Friday 07/22/05."It was Saturday, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I called the phone number, and the car was still there, so I went after work to take a look at it. I fugured at the very least, I could use it for parts.

The car was complete, less the battery, and had been running when it was parked for restoration. It had good rubber all the way around, and the body was fairly straight. They had sanded and primered the hood and front fenders. I told them that I would be back with a tow truck after work on Sunday.

So I dragged it home, and immediately after this post, there is a picture of it. It has several parts I can swap to my 77, like the center console and the factory mags, but I think I can, with a minimal investment of time and money, turn it into a daily driver.

Last night I hooked up a battery, but it wouldnt turn over, so I got a remote starter, hooked it up, and turned the key on. It turned over freely, but wouldn't start. When I sprayed a little started fluid in the intake it fired up for a second, but quit. I pulled the fuel line and there wasn't any (fuel that is). I can hear liquid sloshing around in the tank, so either the fuel pump is bad, or the wiring is bad. Neither of those things is any big deal, although I would rather it was the fuel pump, although that will be more expensive, but I have spent the last year and a half chasing electrical problems in the 77 and am tired of wiring.

I still haven't figured out when I will be able to replace the deck off of the living room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »