Wednesday, May 19, 2010

On the Eve

One thing I know for sure. As of tomorrow, things will never look the same.

The Vitrectomy will repair the Macular hole in my right eye. When they are working on the eye, they will also replace the lens because of the developing cataract.

Then comes the hard part. Recovery from the surgery requires that I remain face down for a week to ten days. I am renting some special equipment to help. A piece of equipment so I can sleep face down, a special chair so I can sit supported by my legs and chest and remain face down, with a shelf to hold a book or my laptop.

In a week or so, I will be able to see, unaided, out of my right eye. This is something that has not been possible since I was in the first grade. Once the right eye heals and my vision clears, they can do the second eye. Then the real possibility exists that I will be able to see unaided for the first time in my active memory.

So I got the opportunity to use a couple of bad jokes in the real world.

I'll be back when I can see coming to work.................

Eye surgery: It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poke in the eye! Ha!

Anonymous said...

I've had 2 major surgeries in the last 12 months. Like you, i was worried about getting back to work asap. (737).

Felt like if I didn't get back sooner than expected I was being a slacker, letting the team down.

In retrospect, that my dear co-worker, is a lot of balony.

Save your eyesight. Th P-8A will save itself. Don't come back until you you body is ready.

Notice I didn't say "you are ready".

Al said...

NCP: My out-of-office repy on outlook says " I'll be back when I can see coming to work"

Anon: I could go back in a Ttow weeks, but Asked the doc to give me a couple of extra days, so I can goo back on the 7th, which is when they start running wire.

sue said...

You will either have this read to you or read it ... oh, in a day or so... (Yeah, I'm that late coming by)... but here's keeping fingers and toes crossed all goes well and you are back to yourself in no time!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow...I pop by to see if you're still blogging and read this. Sounds like you're in for a rough couple of days but it also sounds like it will be SO worth it in the end! Best of luck to ya! :)