Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hot Water

No, I haven't gotten myself in trouble in any way.
As a matter of fact, the paucity of hot water was the issue.
I went to take my shower before I went to bed last night. standing there naked turn on the hot water tap and wait for the water to warm up. And wait, and wait. No hot water.
Of course the first thing out of my mouth is "Who used up all the hot water?" Since there are only the two of us, I guess that person would have to be Mrs A, who is known to take long showers, and then do laundry. Well, she comes back with the fact that she hasn't taken her shower yet, and is doing a load of laundry IN COLD WATER.
This is not going well.
Head back to the bedroom to get dressed. Go down in the basement and head for the fuse box.
Indeedey the circuit breaker for the water heater is tripped. So I go to reset it.
POOF! sparks and it immediately goes back to the off position.
Not good at all, since this means there is a dead short someplace.
Go ever to the water heater and remove the inspection panels.
Top one looks fine.
Bottom one....my God what is that terrible smell! Why that would be scorched insulation, burnt wiring, melted wire insulation, burnt plastic. That is one of the worst smells there is.
The former thermostat is a melted, burned up piece of crap.
Fortunately the heating element seems intact and the water tank has not been breached. The tank itself appears to be in good shape, but it is night and the hardware stores are closed, so I go ahead and drain the tank and remove the thermostat and check the lower element. The lower element was fine.
So off I go to the hardware store first thing in the morning. Fifteen bucks for a new water heater thermostat. fifteen minutes to tape up the wires where the insulation is burned off. Close my eyes and reset the circuit breaker.
Turn the water to the hot water tank back on and let it fill. Bleed all the air out of the lines.
Wait for the water tank to do it's thing. Take a shower, and off to work.
I ended up three hours late for work. No big, I have about six weeks worth of vacation saved up.
It's always something.

No comments: