Tuesday, May 05, 2009

None Done

When I was coming home from work today, I got as far as 7-11, and when I went to leave, the truck died, and when I went to start it back up.........nothing.
Having eliminated the battery, battery cable, alternator, starter, the fault can only lie in a couple of places. The cutout switch that is attached to the clutch, and the ignition switch itself.
No mere mechanical object can out-stubborn me. I WILL WIN. Eventually.
As soon as it stops raining, like maybe June, I will go out and do some diagnostics and figure out which. Having eliminated all of the other possibilities, I should be able to figure it out.
All I have to do is make a jumper wire to go from the battery to the solenoid, and jump it. If the starter turns, the problem is isolated to either the clutch cutout switch or the ignition switch.
It should be easy to find the clutch cutout switch. That being easy, it is probably the keyed switch itself.
Oh, and my laptop keeps freezing up.

5 comments:

sue said...

Some days do you get the feeling that everything you touch turns to shit? .... maybe it is just me. :)

Al said...

Sue: I've been on a pretty consistent cycle of knock me down, I get back up. Knock me down, get back up. When the truck didn't start yesterday, I was ready to give up, but by this morning I already had the plan in place for fixing it.

sue said...

Well, you ARE a positive soul... ;)

rennratt said...

My co-worker is the electronic 'kill' button. Literally. Any electronic item in our office that she touches DIES within days.

We joke that it's her 'magnetism' that does it.

Al said...

Renn: On the other hand, when I lay my hands on things, they tend to start working. sot of like faith healing for machinery.