Friday, May 08, 2009

One Done (Again)

I took yesterday off. When I got up to go to work, the truck wouldn't start. It is also my last chance to take a day off for God knows how long, so I wanted to get the truck up to snuff.
Having fixed everything else, I had decided to bypass the clutch cutout switch, regardlless. There are times when I want to turn over the engine when the truck is in neutral, and I don't want to climb in the truck and push in the clutch.
So I bypassed the switch. The truck still didn't start, so it has to be in the ignition switch. In order to pull the ignition switch, you need to diable the airbag system and remove it from the vehicle, remove the steering wheel, and remove the switch. Too much work.
For $7.00 you can buy a solid brass starter button. Since I never use the cigarette lighter, I utilized the hot wore and hole from the lighter to install the button. Cut the wire to the solenoid out from the wire bundle, made a jumper wire to go to the other terminal on the button, and voila' you have a pretty much bulletproof starter switch, The rubber boot blends in nicely with the dash, and no wires show.
Mrs A said "You're a kind of McGuyver, aren't you?"
I was sooooo proud

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Next thing you know, Mythbusters will be testing myths about your abilities!

Al said...

Sarah: Or as I like to put it at work "We the unappreciated have done so much with so little for so long that soon we will be able to do anything with nothing at all."

rennratt said...

That is AWESOME! Please come south and repair my vehicle. Be warned, though. I'm fairly certain it might be possessed.

Michael said...

Hey, push button starters are all the rage in high end vehicles now. You're on the cutting edge!

Al said...

Renn: Usually At some time in any repair job, I perform a blood sacrifice to the car gods. Things usually go better after that.

Al said...

Michael: Yeah, I got the idea from my Ferrari....or was it the Aston-martin? Oh yeah, it was my 1938 Graham. Love that cutting edge stuff.

sue said...

Aren't YOU the smart one? congrats on a fix... :)

Al said...

Sue: As a former farm kid, we were brought up having to figure out how to make things work without buying expensive new parts. Just make it work.

Anonymous said...

I have NO IDEA what those things you said meant... but it sounded wildly impressive!

sue said...

Being married to a farmer and having a son who not only farms, but races cars AND puts them together I know exactly what you're saying. ;)

Al said...

NCP: Not as impressive as it sounds, at least to a motor-head. To a non-mechanical person it sounds pretty amazing, but to me it's just plain common sense.

Sue: I'm sure you understand exactly what I'm talking about.