Monday, June 15, 2009

Complications

Women are complicated creatures.

Mrs A wants to get out of Dodge this weekend. Doesn't have a destination in mind. Just hit the road and go anywhere that isn't here. I am of course supposed to come up with THE PLAN. If it was just me, the plan would be to throw a change of clothes in a gym bag, a sleeping bag in the back of the truck and hit the road. Throw a female into the works and it becomes "complicated".
Fourteen pairs of shoes. Twelve changes of clothes. A whole suitcase of mysterious fluids and creams. A fancy cress "just in case". If we are going overnight, it must involve a shower and clean bathrooms. Roughing it means no room service.

Men on the other hand are simple creatures. (Hey, I heard that snicker, hold it down, you don't want me to come back there!)

I would just wander, sleep in the back of the truck. The extra clothes are only in case I fall in something or get caught in a torrential downpour. The world is a guys bathroom. A shower can wait until you get home, but a handy dip in a stream or lake will do in a pinch. No soap required. Fire is your friend, and smoke is almost as good as deodorant. Sometimes better.

And don't get me started on the dog.

2 comments:

sue said...

Now, when the kids were little and hubs wanted a "quick" getaway, he didn't understand that you couldn't just pick up and go, that there were plans that needed to be made for said children (4) and he wasn't the one who had to make them.

As adults, HE is the one who wants the room service and the plan... me? I could just sleep in a pickup and camp... See? who is the complicated one? lol.

Al said...

Sue: I am thinking that after I get done with Frankenhealey, I would like to get an older Volkswagon Westfalia camper and restore it. Best of both worlds. Resonable gas mileage, stove and refrigerator, and a queen size foldout. Camping with ammentites.