Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tree Frog

We are going to redo the lighting in the Kitchen this winter. The ceiling is one of those "Hanging ceilings" that is suspended about four inches below the real ceiling.
Lighting is provided by three four foot long florescent fixtures that are just laying on top of the framing. Pretty cheap and cheesy.
The setup was already there when I bought the house, and it was never worth the amount of work required to switch them out.
Problem one is that they go through florescent bulbs like crazy. Way sooner than they should. It is because the fixtures themselves are the cheapest you can possibly buy.
And they are now failing. Two of the spots will now not work at all. So we have decided it is time to do something about them.
We went down to Lowes Hardware to check out the stock and look for new ideas. I found some oak cased lights with a wooden gridwork that will match the kitchen cabinets, and they take four florescent bulbs each, so they ought to provide plenty of light.
While we were wandering around the middle f the store looking at lights, I caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye.
There, on the cement floor, a hundred yards from any exit, was a tree frog.
He was covered in dust bunnies.
So I went and caught him, and cleaned him up by taking the dust bunnies off of him. A couple of employees were walking bu so I asked them "How much for the tree frogs?"
Of course they looked at me like I had lost my mind. "Huh?"
I cracked my hand open enough that they could see the frog. They were all fascinated. One announced that it was a Spring Peeper, but as spring peepers, also known as green tree frogs, live only in the southeastern U.S., that was pretty unlikely.
When I checking out I showed him to the clerk and she wanted to touch him, but couldn't quite bring herself to do so.
What to do?
I went to the (outdoor) Garden Center and asked them if the had a home for the frog, but they said they were in the process of shutting down for the winter. There were no woods near, only the planter strips in the parking lot. I didn't give him much chance of survival if I just dumped him off there. So I stored him temporarily in an old empty Cassette case. He rode in the storage area below the radio, peering out the whole way home.
I let him go in the Tibetan Magnolia in the front yard.
But how the hell does a tree frog get out in the middle of a warehouse hundreds of yards from the nearest tree?

2 comments:

rennratt said...

My guess is that he rode in on a shipment from someplace else. Lowe's is based out of NC; maybe the frog DID originate in the southeast! Tree frogs are, for whatever reason, more common here in the fall than they are in the spring or summertime. Maybe because it's too pollen-filled in the spring and too hot in the summer?

Al said...

I checked on line, and it looked to me like our local Pacific Tree Frog, but I am no expert. That's probably the case, but he was a hell of a long way from the Garden Department.