Tuesday, June 05, 2012

A Logistical 180

The last time I posted, I was pretty sure I was going to go ahead and do the four wheel drive conversion to the Westie. Since then I have changed my mind.
This may have been precipitated by the fact that the lovely Mrs A has retired. She semi-retired several years ago, just working part time. Now she is a stay-at-home housewife.So far it seems to agree with her.
The fact of her retirement got me to seriously looking at my own retirement. If I do the conversion to the Westie, it means I work for an additional year to pay it off. That's a pretty steep price to pay for what I get out of it.
I was looking around the house cleaning up misc. crap, and came across several US Savings Bonds. I also am going to get rid of my Jensen Healey parts car, and put the title to the HHR in the Safe Deposit Box. I also had a stack of US Savings Bonds in the box. I got to thinking about them sitting there doing nothing, so I decided to take them all and cash them in and pay down the mortgage. So I did. I added a bunch of my "car money" to the kitty, and Paid off $15K of the mortgage. That brings the total down to around $38K. Within sight.
The plan has always been to pay off the mortgage, get to Social Security age, sell the house and move to the country somewhere it doesn't rain 200 days a year. I need to complete my Dental work (implants coming in November).
It is beginning to look more like a plan and less like a fantasy all the time.


No comments: