Tuesday, September 18, 2012

And God Laughed

We were going to spend the weekend at Scatter Creek Campground at the south end of Lake Taqualpa, an incredible beautiful setting this time of year. The wild rice growing in the shallow parts of the lake is brilliant green, the channel blue, reflecting the sky. The far shore is the dark green of pine and fir, and above them the mountains rise abruptly with their blacks and grays.
I have been there many times, but never to photograph it. That was my goal.
The dirt road is ten miles of incredibly bad road, with chuckholes and rocks the whole way.
I had just mentioned to MRS A "I really like the fact that the Westfalia has such Good ground clearance, I really don't have to worry about hitting a rock and putting a hole in the pan".
When will I ever learn?
God snickered and threw a particularly nasty rock in my path.
BAM!
Shortly thereafter the oil light came on.
I stopped and went to the back to check the oil. None showed on the dip stick. I climbed under the Van, and there was a hole the size of your fist in the pan.
Of course there was no cell service. Ten miles to the nearest pavement, twenty to the nearest town.
Luckily a Game Warden came by right after that and stopped.
I asked him to call me a tow truck.
An hour later the tow truck showed up. Two and a half hours and $810 later we were home.
I went to change out the pan, and tweaked a muscle in my back, so I had to send it to the shop. It will be $425.00 to put in a new pan. A steel pan this time, not cast aluminum.
With a skid plate made out of 1/4" plate steel.
But I'm not going to brag about how I don't have to worry about rocks.
And I'll probably slow down some when I'm off the pavement.

No comments: