Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Finger Poppin'

Little did I expect yesterday when I went to work that I would end up in the Hospital Emergency Room.
I have two desks out on the factory floor, and I alternate between the two. I have a laptop, so the idea is that I am supposed to be able to roll my file drawer and take my laptop and be ready to go in about ten minutes. It usually works fine.
But on Tuesday when I went to move, someone had stolen my docking station, keyboard, power brick and mouse.
So I had to scrounge some new equipment, and get it set up. I was underneath the desk, plugging in equipment. When I backed out, I raised up too soon and hit my head on the keyboard tray, knocking it loose and  it fell down and landed right on my ring finger, right below the end knuckle. It hurt like hell and bled pretty good.
I started feeling woozy, and started going into shock, so I put my head between my knees. At this point, people decided they needed to call in the fire department. I really wish they had just let me tough it out.
So the fire department medical unit showed up and checked me out. My blood pressure was a little low, but not alarmingly so. I told them I was fine, but they felt I needed to go to Boeing Medical, also known as the Death Clinic.
My boss walked me over. I figured I was going to get a couple of stitches and go back to work. I should have known better.
The Medical Tech was getting ready to clean and suture my finger when he took the end of my finger and pushed down on it to open up the cut to clean it. When he did, he popped the extensor tendon on the back of my finger.
AT that point they sent me to the Emergency Room at Valley General Hospital. They have this brand new fancy multi-million dollar state-of-the-art facility. I was impressed with the facility. Not so much the service. But then a cut finger wouldn't rate real high on the list of emergencies..
Several hours later I was released with a couple of stitches, a dressing and splint and a referral to an Orthopedic Surgeon.
If people had left me alone I would have superglued it, put an bandaid on it and went on my way.
So I am restricted in my work assignment to "Light typing or writing".
What the heck is "Light typing"
I have an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon on the 15th.
The things some people will do to get  a day away from work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog post is light typing! :)

Sorry about the finger :(

Al said...

Oh, I don't know, I thought it was sort of dark.......