Thursday, March 21, 2013

Car Stuff

Part of the retirement plan is to consolidate my car stuff. The reason for this is to have less stuff to move, because when I retire we plan to move out in the country. We currently have five vehicles, and I want to get that down to four, or perhaps three by the time we are ready to move.
Right now the plan is to get the 1977 280Z up to snuff and sell it. Nothing is majorly wrong with it, but a lot of little pain in the butt stuff, such as the fact that it has no dash lights.
Last year the old points type voltage regulator went rogue and blew out all of the marker lights, dash lights etc. I replaced all of the lights that are readily accessible. Unfortunately, to get at some of the dash lights, you have to tear the dash apart, which is a major pain in the butt. Last Sunday I got in there and started on it. You have to take the radio out, and pull the center console out. The cernter console had a bad crack in it, and when I pulled it out I saw it needed to be replaced. I didn't figure the chances were too good of finding one in good shape, but much to my amazement, I found a new-in-box replacement, which I immediately purchased. I will switch over the switches when the new one comes in. While the radio was out, I fixed some of the crappy wiring that had been done over the years, so that putting it back together will be easier when the time comes.
Next is time to fix the heater controls. I have never been able to turn off the heater. That's OK Spring, Fall and Winter, but Summer is coming, and as long as I have it torn apart I might as well fix the heater control. It is operated by a lever and cable system, but the door that shuts off the air seems to be frozen. It doesn't seem like it will be too much trouble to fix. Knock on wood.
Then on to tearing the dash apart so I can replace all the little bulbs that illuminate the gauges and instruments. A lot of work for a bunch of tiny light bulbs.
Then time to figure out what the clunk in the rear end is. Probably a u-joint in one of the axle half shafts, but I won't know for certain until I get it up in the air.
Then comes paint. I have a couple of estimates for the custom paint I want done. Custom green/blue/purple color changing paint job. Both estimates are for around $2500.00.
When I am done, I will sell it. I should be able to get close to $10 grand.
That money will then go into Frankenhealey and the Westie.
One step at a time.

No comments: