Tuesday, April 08, 2014

The Z is Mocking Me

Ten weeks the Z was in the shop. I saved car fund money for two years to get it painted. The final bill was around three grand. It is SOOOOO pretty.
So why does it hate me?
New wheels, new tires, new seat covers, new carpets, new paint. Lots of cars would be happy, lots of cars would be proud. Not mine.
Sunday I backed it out into the driveway to do a couple of small things. Reconnect the speedometer, figure out why only one speaker is working. Little stuff.
When I backed it out, I noticed a large puddle on the ground.
I pop the hood, and I see a small pool of green liquid on the motor mount. Antifreeze. This could be small or this could be huge. A leaky hose is a relatively minor thing. Since I can't tell where the leak is, I clean off the side of the block, fill the radiator, and start the engine. Go around and look at the side of the engine to see antifreeze seeping out of where the head meets the block. No water in the oil, no oil in the water. These are good things It means the leak is only from the water jacket out. It means a new head gasket.
A big pain in the butt.
So for now the car sits in the driveway sparkles and mocks me.

No comments: