Wednesday, September 09, 2009

It's Just A Shot Away

Just to be the antithesis of The Stones, who on Give me Shelter screamed "War, children, it's just a shot away" I give you:

Peace, Children, It's just a Shot Away.

A shot of Tanqueray, that is. After some negotiation, we settled on an apollogy and a bottle of Tanqueray. More expensive than your average bunch of flowers, but less than dinner.

Negotiation hell, she just called me up and said "Instead of Flowers, I want a bottle of Tanqueray". I was not in a position to negotiate.

So all is peaceful in Latteland.

Tonight I am signing the contract to put new siding on the South side of the house. Mind you that side of the house is 40 feet by 40 feet, and covered with 10" lapped cedar siding. Decent tight knot 10" cedar siding is getting mighty hard to find, and when you CAN find it, it is expensive as hell.

I wanted to do the work myself, but Mrs A has a conniption fit if I get anywhere near a ladder. Last time I got up on a ladder to repair a downspout, I had to give her three drinks before I could go up on the ladder.

I haven't seen the breakdown, but the estimate is $3800.00, which seems about right to me. I still don't like paying someone to do something I could do myself, but what the hell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have cedar siding too. I had to get just the chimney redone and that was crazy expensive.

Al said...

NCP: There just isn't enough source material left. Out here, we actually have people "Rustling" cedar.

rennratt said...

Wow. Good luck!

WE are having a fun time keeping ourselves in vehicles. It's one crazy item after another falling off, breaking or exploding from within.

It's always some obscure piece, too.

Glad that you and the Mrs. made up.

Al said...

Renn: Paid a third down, but havent set a date yet for the siding. The contract just calls for all the work to be done within 30 days.