Thursday, September 24, 2009

OWIE!

There are some lessons we have to learn more than once, or at least some of us do.

I guess I am one of those.

I learned a long time ago that when you are working on a car, you take off your jewelry. I have been pretty faithful about his. There are lots of things that can go wrong if you wear jewelry while you are wonking on the car, and absolutely no benefits.

I was working on Frankenhealey the other night, and because I was just replacing the carbs with the newly rebuilt cars, I didn't bother to take off my watch. Since I was not running the engine or dealing with moving parts, it should be OK, right?

Wrong.

While tightening the bottom rear carb bolt, I got my watch band between the two terminals of the starter solenoid, causing a direct short. It instantly heated the watch band red hot. Thereby melting the skin under the watch band.

I was dancing around, saying impolite things while trying to get the watch off.

That smell of cooking pork? That was me. When I got the watch band free, the skin sluffed off. I now have a very nasty looking spot on my left wrist.

It is going to leave a scar, which will be around for a long time to remind me of a lesson I supposedly learned a long time ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

See... I take that as a different lesson:

"Never work on your own car"!

Of course, you actually LIKE doing that stuff, so I guess it's different for you ;)

sue said...

My hubs learned that with his wedding band... he knows better, but forgot one day and it, too, made a connection and melted into him. He never wears his ring now, but says he is forever "banded"... :)

Al said...

NCP: Maybe God was trying to send me a message.......

SUE: I almost lost my ring finger once. I was working on a forklift and when I jumped off, I caught my wedding band on something. It jerked me around in a circle, but luckily I was not far from the ground.