Thursday, March 11, 2010

Westfalia1

Well, I bought the Westfalia.
It is VERY clean inside, really shows no wear except for a couple of spots in the canvas of the pop-up. No dents, no rust. It is a kinda creamy yellow. It needs some TLC, but that just makes it so I will feel it is truely mine when I get it all fixed up.
It was last licensed 10 years ago, so it is almost like breaking it in all over again. So far, I know it needs the brakes workes on. No big deal. I have done a whole lot of brake jobs over the years. Of a little more concern is that the gas guage isn't working, probably just from sitting for so long. I don't particularly like working on gas tanks, but if that's what it takes, that's what I will do. I ordered a complete repair manual for it, and it should be in next week.
I would have pictures, but it is cold and rainy out, not to mention gloomy. As soon as the clouds part, I'll take some pictures.
I had originally thought that the engine was the 1.9 Liter air cooled, but found out it is the 2.1 Liter wasserboxer, which is supposed to be one of the most robust engines ever made. I have never owned or worked on one, but it seems pretty straightforward.
I spent a little while this afternoon inside it, just figuring out where things were and how they worked. It'll take a while to figure it all out. I read the owners manuals, and figured most of it out, but will need a little time to translate all the words into sense.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fixing stuff AND camping! You must be in heaven ;)

Al said...

NCP: It doesn't get much better than that. As long as I don't have to fix things WHILE I'm camping.

Rick said...

A friend of mine was up from California this weekend and BOTH of his kids drive Westies. He's lookin' for one, if you feel like selling it when you're done.

Al said...

Rick: Great to hear from you! You know me, I'm already looking into updating a few things. I saw a conversion puting a subaru WRX engine (285hp) into a Westy.