Thursday, February 17, 2011

Jigsaw

One of the things I do in the winter, when the days are short and the nights are cold, and the cabin walls start closing in is put together jigsaw puzzles. Gives my brain and eyes and hands something to do.
My family has always kept around a good jigsaw puzzle to keep the cabin fever away.
One of the Engineers at work really got into jigsaw puzzles. He became obsessed with them, in fact. He was working a particularly challenging puzzle, he became so obsessed that he had to take some time off of work so he could finish it.
It took him a couple of weeks to finish, and when he did, he threw a party to celebrate his accomplishment. As a fellow puzzler, I was of course invited.
I suppose I shouldn't have expected as much as I did, but when I saw the puzzle, I asked him if this was the puzzle he had been so obsessed with.
He assured me it was, and I asked if it wasn't a bit much having a party to celebrate completing this particular puzzle, after all it had taken him a six weeks.
He looked at me with a puzzled (HA!) look, and replied "Well it says three to five YEARS right on the side of the box."

5 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That was BAAAAD!!! ;)

I use to love putting together puzzles (other than the fact you need table space to place them on). I'm a gluer too...once I get that sucker together, I glue it so I never had to put it together again. I have several of them lining the walls of my computer/junk room...;) Only real problem I have is that, once I start, I can't stop myself...I'll stay up till all hours of the night thinking "Okay, once I get just ONE more piece put in, I'll stop." That can go on for hours!!! ;)

Al said...

PQ: I am currently working on a 2000 piece jigsaw. It takes up the whole dining room table. I am beginning to get the questions: "Are you about through with that puzzle"?" "looks real nice, how much longer will it take you?"

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

We used to have a picnic table out on our glassed in back porch that was PERFECT for puzzles. Those were the days! :)

sue said...

That WAS bad!

My mom used to have a card table up all the time and had a puzzle going. My grandson liked them for awhile, then got interested in other things. They have some really interesting ones out (the 3-d ones, etc). I wasn't ever very good at them, but liked the end result.

Al said...

Sue: Growing up, we always had a puzzle going. Any time you walked by, you wouls stop and put a couple of peoces in. Working on them brings back a lot of really comforting memories,