Friday, February 25, 2011

Sittin' on a wad

I sold an intake manifold and carb setup for a Jensen Healey engine today for $1,000.00 Cash. So I am sitting a little taller in my chair at the moment.
As a part of my restoration of Frankenhealy, I buy up spare parts whenever a good deal comes by. The Jensen came stock with Stromberg carbs, which although reliable are also ugly power robbing high maintenance carbs. Preferable are the Dellorto's which were only available in Europe.
So I bought a couple (make that three) manifolds, and a couple (also make that three) sets of carbs. I have the best set on the car and was restoring a second set for the engine I plan to build up.
A guy at work was walking by, stopped and asked "Say is that a Jensen Healey engine?" because I had the engine compartment of Frankenhealey as my screen saver. I said "You got a good eye. I don't think one person in a thousand would know what that was." He asked if I knew where he could get an intake manifold to fit the Dellorto carbs. "I have three" How about the carb setup and linkage "I have spares. Tell you what, I will put together a complete setup for you for a grand."
He said he had been looking for years, I said look no farther. I needed to finish up putting them together and needed to locate a couple of parts, but I finished last weekend. and we exchanged Carsh for carbs today.
It's not like I made a bunch of money. I had over $700 into the setup, and $300 isn't that big of a profit considering the amount of time I spent getting it all together, rebuilding and rejetting the carbs. But it was all doing something I love.
Knowing I had these sold, I bought another set of Dellorto DHLA40 carbs for the spare manifold in the basement, using the profits from this exchange. The overall plan is to rebuild and sell spare parts and eventually pay off the investment in the car. After selling the spare manifold and carbs today, my total investment is around four grand.
After I rebuild and sell the other spare manifold, it will be down to around thirty five hundred.

No comments: