Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Car Show & Stuff

I managed to make it to the annual Boeing Employees Car Show. Even better, I made it home again without a disaster. The car did divest itself of some coolant after going up the big hill on Renton Ave. I think it is more that the radiator cap is worn out that it is overheating.
I didn't win any trophies this year, but that's not what it is all about.
To me it is about participating, and getting a chance to talk cars with people who understand the language.
When I try to talk cars around home, I get a blank look and a "That's nice dear".
I actually had one guy in his thirties come up. He was from England and was extremely surprised to see a Jensen Healey. Double surprised when he saw the "Before" picture.
Best of show was won by a 1953 Dodge Power Wagon Pick-up, military version. It was incredible. I swear there was not a speck of dirt on it anywhere, and of course the power was updated by Modern Mopar. I have always wanted one of those. Almost bought one a couple of years ago, but rebuilt and updated my S10 pickup right before I saw the Power Wagon. Been sorry ever since.
I visited the Westfalia in the shop last Friday, and things are coming together. The material for the replacement canvas came in today, and things look OK for it being ready for the 9th when we pack up to hit the road. The new refrigerator/freezer is in, the top is off getting new seals and headliner, and the luggage rack has the new stainless steel tie-downs installed. Oh, and they were putting in the new defroster fan switch and rewiring the radio (there are limits to what duct tape can do).
Still to go: new windshield and rear bumper and end caps. The only thing that may not get done is, I have asked that they figure out a way to mount and vent my Honda Super Silent generator inside the car, but that is something that doesn't have to get done right away.
When we get back from the trip I will have to look into getting it painted.

2 comments:

rennratt said...

Do you have any pictures of the Jensen Healey?

I hope you have a great vacation!

Al said...

I have a few. I really need to take some better ones since it has improved somewhat since I last posted any pictures. Maybe this weekend I can get out and shoot a few.
I'm a little bit nervous heading out into the great unknown without a real plan, but that IS the plan.