Monday, April 16, 2012

A Nice weekend

The stars and moon aligned and and all the conditioned were right
!) I had the weekend off
2) the weather was nice
3) we had no other commitments

This is the first time this has happened this year. The first time this has happened this year.
We made egg rolls in the morning (they are very yummy).
So that in the afternoon I could go twist a wrench. I have SOOOO wanted to get out and get to work on the cars. First I needed to charge the battery to the Z and get it running. While it was charging I got it up in the air and bled the brakes. Got it running and the brakes working.
Then came Frankenhealey. I had previously sold the prior Dellorto set-up with the velocity stacks to a guy at work for a grand, So I had purchased another set. Straight out of the box, they do not fit. The mounting holes are just a little to far apart, so you have to file them a little to get them to fit.
I wasn't going to run the velocity stacks without air cleaners of some kind, and I found some on line that look alot like the covering on a microphone, very fine steel mesh. They will keep miscellaneous small parts, rocks and insects from being ingested into the engine. The original engines demise was brought about by the ingestion of a small washer.
The are all fitted up nice.
Man do I feel stupid!
I replaced the ball joint assembly on the drives side of the truck, and drove it to work all week. All of the sudden on Saturday it started making a thump-thump-thump noise from the driver's side front, so I rearranged the cars so I could get it partly under cover and on the cement so I could look it over. When I got out of the truck, I noticed one of the lug nuts looked like it was a little loose. I fact, they all were loose. The noise was the wheel rattling around on the hub. Tightened the lug nuts up, and everything was fine.
But I sure felt stupid.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Better have your ride ready for August family reunion Al! Otherwise, you miss the huckleberry pie, and a bunch of crazy people you HAVE to realize are part of your gene pool.

Al said...

It's on the schedule. Have two weeks offso the end of out trip will be coming back through Sandpoint in time for the reunion.