Tuesday, April 19, 2005

New Pope

Well, the World has itself a new Pope. I am disappointed in the Cardinals and the Church. Here was an apportunity to bring a new voice and a new direction to one of the most revered and ancient organizations on the face of the Earth. John Paul had dragged the Church, kicking and screaming, into the 20th century, so now they are only a hundred years or so out of date. Here was a chance to elect a leader to bring them in the 21st Century, and they fumbled the baton.

I was raised Catholic, but I no longer am. I AM a Christian, and a believer, but I have grave issues with the Catholic Church, starting with contraception. Here is a little bit of the logic, or lack thereof that disturbs me:

The Church is against contraception, although a good number of it's Priests turn an unseeing eye to the practice, the official policy is against it. Mortal Sin, Eternity in Hell. Flash to Africa, where AIDS is running rampant. Unprotected sex is a ticking time bomb, but protected sex is a condemnation to Eternity in Hell. Talk about Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The new Pope's stance on contraception is conservative. I wonder if he can discern the difference between Contraception and Self Preservation.

I suppose like any newly elected Official, I should give him a 100 day period of grace before I pass judgement, but the early indicators is that he is a Conservative Traditionalist that would like to drag us all back to the 17th century.

No comments: