Monday, February 15, 2010

Still Here

I know I haven't written diddly SH*% lately. Truth is, I have been totally lazy.This happens to me this time every year.
I just had a very nice weekend, sorta. It didn't start out so great. I missed work on Friday, because I was up all night with stomach problems. I never got sick, but I think I would have been better off if I had stuck a finger down my throat and got it over with.
My body does not like one of my diabetes medications, Metformin. I have heard from other diabetics that it is not unusual for people to have a bad reaction to it. I get a stomach ache and heartburn that is really, really bad. Bad enough that sleep is impossible. No amount of pink stuff or pepcid or alka anything else will stop it. You just have to hang on and ride it out. It usually lasts about eight to ten hours. Usually I can figure out what I ate (or drank) that caused it, but Thursday night I didn't do anything real bad. Sure, I had a small batch of chips and dip, and I had a couple of beers, but normally this would not have effected me.
So I got up and called in to work and crashed on the couch. When I got up I was still disoriented.
My cousin, K who lives in Texas was up visiting. His primary reason was to visit his sister, who was recently diagnosed with cancer. The cancer has metastasized into her bones, and is inoperable. With treatment she has maybe four to five years. Bummer.
He wanted to spend some time here, and wanted to go see our aunt and uncle on Vashon.
It started out as just him and I going over, but ended up as six people and a minor family reunion. Everyone had a great time, even though we were watching the Datona 500 and had to stay longer than we intended to catch the end of the race.
He came back here and spent the night, and I took him to the airport around noon. It was sure good to see him. He gave us a little fiddle concert this morning before I ran out to Sea-Tac.
He left me with a 16 gig flash drive with about 80 CDs on it. I spent the day downloading and sampling music. He is and Old-timey fiddle player, so a lot of it is old time fiddle, bluegrass, Irish, and folk. Not my usual stuff.
The one that I had to immediately transfer over to itunes so I can load it on to my ipod was a best of cd from Edith Piaf. Love it. Wish I understood a little French.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Metformin made me constantly vaguely nauseous at almost all times, and if I ate something greasy for dinner (pub food, fast food especially), I'd wake up around 2-3am and throw up. Or I'd just wake up and throw up, sometimes without a trigger. It's a great medicine, I suppose, but I hated the nausea and how much it disrupted my life. I'm sorry you have bad side effects too!!!

Al said...

Sarah: Most of the time I am OK. Just every once in a while it smacks me around. Trouble is, it is pretty random.

sue said...

Metformin only gets me when I have been off it for awhile, then go back on... doesn't make me sick, just uh... the other end... for a day or two.

Sorry you have to go through it tho'...

Every once in awhile I break out of my 'comfort zone' and listen to music I wouldn't otherwise. Sometimes find a really good piece I enjoy.

Al said...

Sue: With 80 new CDs to listen to, I'm sure I will find some treasures besides the Edith Piaf.