Sunday, February 28, 2010

What a beautiful Day!


We awoke this morning to sunshine and blue skies. The unit we are renting is a block way from the beach, so after breakfast, we walked down to the beach. It was an incredibly nice morning for February.
We then went into town, and hit the shops. There is my favorite shop, Dragonfire,, which specializes in glasswork The picture is of our latest acquisition, a glass sphere about 3" in diameter. Because of the way it is made, the top half is clear and the bottom half opaque. Because of the way the color elements are twirled it looks like it goes on forever. This is the third piece we have purchased by the same artist. Double click on the picture, and you get a pretty good idea what it looks like, but you really can't get the full impression.
We went to a late lunch ad The Driftwood Inn. They have the best clam chowder ever. I grew up on clam chowder, come from the land of Ivar. All the way from Latteland I was thinking about the clam chowder, So of course I started out with the chowder, and it was incredible. I also had the crab sandwich, which is Dungenesse Crab on an English Muffin covered with melted cheddar cheese. Those of you not from around here have no idea what I'm talking about here. Dungenesse Blue Tip is the best crab in the world, and anyone who thinks different can meet me in the street at high noon for a Crab-out. Soft shells? HAH! King? Bring it on, bigger is not better! Hokkaido? Been there, done that. Snow crab? You can't snow me!
Later this afternoon, I wandered down the street to the Glass studio and spent about an hour talking with the owner. Learned a bunch. Kinda inspires me to follow up with the glass blowing classes when I get back. Glass is such an incredible medium, and I saw so much incredible stuff today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

kid sister "L" here- I am officially jelous. I love glasswork and would love to learn to do glasswork! I would not even know where to start learning, but its totally cool.

Al said...

Hey Sis. They have a Glass studio in Renton and classes offered throught Renton Technical College. I haven't started yet, but would like to get started. Boeing offers payment for classes, so I'M loooking into getting financing.

Anonymous said...

Go for it! Art glass makes a great gift. And I just happen to know someone who has a 25th anniversary coming up (hint, hint!)

Al said...

Anon: Gee, I don't know anyone named Anonymous who has a 25th anniversary coming up. Racking my brains here.......nope.

Anonymous said...

Think back, where were you on May 3, 1985. Think family members. (I don't have a google account or I would not have to be "anonymous"