Friday, February 19, 2010

Taxes

We went in to H & R Block yesterday and did our annual Income Tax work. I wanted to get it done ASAP because I am getting a wad back this year.
We have agreed that we want to use the money to buy a used Volkswagen Westfalia camper van. We had an Airstream 19 foot motor home. It had it's good points, but I hated the way it lumbered down the road and the fact that it got about 6 miles to the gallon. A guy came by last spring with a wad of cash and I sold it and used the money to put in a new heat pump.
We love to go camping, but I wanted something a little more practical. A Westfalia will be just right for the two of us. Complete with stove, refrigerator, sink, and heat. But still getting around 20 MPG and usable for everyday chores.
Used ones in good condition run from five to eight thousand. I have been watching the adds on Craigslist, and there are some good bargains. I should be able to buy one and have a few bucks left over to work on it. Now I just have to wait for my return to come in.
We are having a family reunion of sorts in Sandpoint, Idaho in August, and I want to have it in good shape by then. It would be nice to take it out for an inauguration trip before then.
Then probably later, a trip to Utah to see the kids down there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I filed mine electronically on a Friday afternoon. I got the money in my account the next Friday morning.

So... prolly not long to wait!

Al said...

NCP: I was so excited last night that I DREAMED about buying a Westfalia.

sue said...

LOL...to your comment. Dreaming, even? Wow.

Sounds like a fun rig. We have a large 30-ft RV my parents gave to me, but we rarely take it anywhere except occaionally the son's races to stay overnight if it is going to be a two or three-day race. It is expensive to run and maintain. The way you're going sounds like the way to do it!

Al said...

Sue: With it just being the two of us, we intend to travel light, and it will be a lot cheaper than running anything bigger. Can't wait to get it and det on the road.