Thursday, March 10, 2011

Help Youself

I was partly raised on a rural farm. You learned to do without and do yourself. Being trained as a combat medic, I received a smattering of medical training, so I have performed a couple of small surgeries on myself. Just removing warts and cysts and stuff like that.
When the temporary metal cap on one of my implants fell out, I saw no need to run to the dentist to have him screw it back in. After it is only a funny shaped screw going into a funny shaped socket.
But I do draw the line at other Dental repairs. Unlike the guy they were discussing in the Dentist's office the other day. He had a three tooth bridge. Which came loose. He had broken the underlying tooth.
So he put it back in with superglue. And left it.
The first time it lasted for six months.
The next time it lasted for six weeks.
The last time it lasted for six days.
When he finally gave up and went to the dentist, it was in pretty bad condition. It seems superglue ATTRACTS decay bacteria, so his tooth was merrily rotting away underneath his super glued repair.
By the time he got to the dentist, the tooth was rotted away to below the gum line.
When they mentioned super gluing a three tooth bridge in I thought "Yeah, that would work. I could see myself doing that."
As a temporary measure.
Until I could get to the dentist.

2 comments:

rennratt said...

Oh, wow. I'm no fan of dentists, but...

I'd suck it up and go before I stuck super glue in my mouth! Isn't that stuff toxic?

Al said...

Renn: Yep, it's toxic, but only if you swallow.