Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Deck

Today they deliver the materials for the deck. I went to Lowe's hardware and they have a program where you just put in the dimensions and what kind of wood you want and it spits out plans and a complete materials list.

Right down to how many nails you need.

So I have spent several hours going over the materials list and the plans and trying to make sense of it all in my head. It shouldn't bee too difficult for me, after all I am a Manufacturing Engineer. And decks are a whole lot easier to build than 737s.

Nonetheless, when I awoke at 3:00 this morning, my mind immediately went to work building the deck, getting the exact sequence of events set in my mind. And of course revising the plans as I go to accomplish what I want.

I am taking next week off to get the deck built. Hopefully we will get done a little early so Mrs A. and I can disappear into the mountains for a short camping trip.

I have a special place in mind, but will have to sedate Mrs A. to get her there. She has this fear of going off the road and into water and drowning. The place I want to go is 23 miles of bad road out in the wilderness, a lot of it with a cliff on one side and a dropoff on the other, plus the last barrier to the campground is you have to ford a stream with the car.

The payoff is one of the most beautiful camp grounds on the face of the Earth.

I think if I get her to take a couple of benadryl before we leave she will be enough in LALA land that by the time she realizes what is going on, we will be there. Of course this means she won't be helping me set up camp.

And then there is the trip back.

6 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Benadryl is VERY good for that, isn't it?

And that camping trip sounds like a blast...you have GOT to take pictures, okay? :)

Al said...

If we go , I promise pictures.

Mrs. A tried out a new face cream the other day, and had a reaction to it, so she took 2 benadryl. That is the day we went and ordered the wood for the deck. She was in la-la land all day. I could have ordered anything I wanted,, and she would have just smiled and nodded her head.

Rick said...

Bring one of those 2x4's on Saturday, will ya? We might need it. Come to think of it, wouldn't that work on Mrs. A as well?

Al said...

I'm thinking of driving the Z, don't think I could fit much of a 2 X 4 into it.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! 2 line fax machines

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »