Monday, April 28, 2008

Bullet Dodge

I woke up early this morning, worried and bothered by the situation with the S10. That's the one I snapped off a spark plug on, on Saturday. I couldn't drive the truck because there was an open hole where part of the spark plug used to be. Consequently when the piston rose on the compression stroke, it would spray atomized gasoline into the engine compartment, where the distributor would send a powerful electrical charge down #2 spark plug wire, which would find the shortest path to ground, thereby causing an explosion. Repeat a couple of thousand times a minute.

This is to be avoided. The list of cautions and warnings would go on for several volumes, and is against several laws.

Not to mention the possible termination of my corporeal manifestation.

So the truck had to be towed to the Chevy Dealer. There were lots of possible outcomes, most of which were expensive. The best of all possible conditions was that they might be able to extract the remains of the plug. The worst was that they would mess up the threads so bad they had to replace the head.

They actually were able to extract the remains of the plug. I would have never bet on this outcome. The least expensive. The easy one. Things just don't happen this way to me.

But they did, so I am having a bunch of other work done on the truck that it needed anyway. But at least I am getting something for my money.

I felt so uplifted. The sun came out from behind the clouds. My money was not all going down the toilet.

I had dodged the bullet.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

You should audition for the next Matrix movie. They wouldn't even have to do stunts!

Glad the easy/inexpensive option happened. Sometimes, when everything seems to be going wrong, it's so nice to have something, anything, go right.

Hope this bodes well for the next long stretch at work.

Al said...

Sarah: Things are also going extremely well at work. Guess I'll just enjoy it while I can, 'cause it can't last. And I was thinking of the MATRIX scene on the top of the office building where Neo first learns to dodge bullets.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

"Not to mention the possible termination of my corporeal manifestation."

Oh, that's too many big words for this early in the morning!!!

sue said...

YAY!

Al said...

PQ: But it sounds much better than just saing Death.

Sue: Good things do sometimes happen.