Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It's Only a Flesh Wound

So maybe I didn't dodge the whole bullet. Right now it's hard to tell.

The dealership called this morning and gave me the old good news/bad news routine. The repairs to the truck are complete, and it is running just fine, but......

There's always a "BUT"

I have had both good and bad dealings with the dealership. Way back when, they tried to get there hooks into me for about a grand of unneeded work. I had a brief but very intense conversation with them. The words "Incompetence" "Fraud" and "Criminal" came up. Since then they have treated me with kid gloves. But I still don't trust them any further than I could throw them.

They tried to hit me up with a head gasket replacement before, when it wasn't needed. This is one of their highest profit jobs. The gasket costs less than $100, but the bill is around $1500.00.

So guess what they tried to hit me with this time?

A head gasket replacement. I told them to go fish, told them I didn't think it needed a head gasket, implied that they were trying to rip me off, and told them if it became necessary, I would do it myself. I have replaced lots of head gaskets in my time. For $1400.00 I can definitely take off a Saturday and do it myself.

I have driven this truck for six months. It has never overheated, and it leaves no drips, so I don't believe it needs anything.

4 comments:

sue said...

I get really frustrated with mechanics that try and take advantage. Hubs used to do work on cars, trucks, snowmobiles, in the off-farm season and he was honest and good and never scammed anyone. The bad guys give the good ones a bad name.

Al said...

Sue: Especially if you are of the female vaiety and don'r know a lot about cars. A competent honest mechanic is hard to find.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I hate it when they try to jerk you around like that.

Al said...

PQ: It makes me wonder how many people they have ripped off that don't know any better.