Sunday, April 27, 2008

Time off

I really can't say how good it feels to have a couple of days off. In a ROW.

I put together my new lawnmower yesterday, and it was a beautiful Spring day. The temperature got up to the high 60's, the sky was blue, and the Tibetan Magnolia is in full bloom.

A near perfect day.

Our back yard is more a swamp than a yard. It has barely dried up enough to walk on. This time of year it is a two or three day job to mow it, and exhausting. That is why I took some of my overtime money and bought a DR Trimmer/Mower. I wish I had done this years ago. I made one pass around the outside, and it is PHENOMONAL. Cut through berry canes, saplings, and 8 inch tall grass with no problem, and because it has like 12" back wheels it is easy to push over en-even ground.

After the first pass, I found a new attachment: Mrs A. She askd if she ccould try it, and she wouldn't give it back. She said it gave her such a sense of POWER. She finally gave it back to me when the lawn was two thirds done. Mainly so she could rake.

What used to take at least two days took about an hour and a half.

On the bad side, I went out to check out the truck, and when I went to take out #2 spark plug, it broke off. The socket side and center electrode came out. The threads and the rest are still in the head. I just don't have the time or energy to deal with it. What I DO have is money from overtime, so the truck goes in the shop on Monday. It will cost aroud six hundred dollars to pull the head and get out the remains of the plug. And as long as they are at it, they might as well do the tune-up and change the oil. If I escape for less than a grand, I will be lucky, and lucky is one thing I am not.

That isn't the way I had planned on using the money, but you have to look at it the other way. What if I had to have the work done, and I didn't have the money? I have been there many times before, so you just pick yourself up and keep on. The words "extra" and "money" just don't belong in the same sentence. At least they never have in my experience.

Sunday has been great. Slept in, had a bacon/avocodo/tomato sandwich, and went back to bed. No details of went on in the bedroom. A little more relaxation, and up again. I am still worn out from work, so we are just taking it easy, watching the tube and talking. It sure is nice.

Sorta reminds me what it is REALLY all about.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Sometimes time is more valuable than money, when you don't have enough time to begin with, paying someone to do stuff so you don't have to do it makes more sense!

I've often wondered how those DR Trimmers would work. What keeps it "level"? Does it have wheels on the front too? I never could tell from the infomercials.

Al said...

Michael: When you have the time you don't have the money, and when you have the money you don't have the time.

The trimmer/mower has a head in the front that you attach the trim cords to. It has a hard plastic half-ball on the bottom that scoots along on the grround.

Anonymous said...

Yay for time off and relaxitude!

Sarah said...

Glad you had a great weekend! You deserved every minute of it after the weeks you've had!

Al said...

NCP: Nothing better than a little relaxitude to adjuct your attitude!

Sarah: Once more into the breach! I'm all ready to do it again. Well.....maybe not.

sue said...

I always love having days off in a row... I end up working at "home" stuff the first day, then collapse and have a "jammie day" the second. If I only get one day off I feel like I have to do the "home" stuff and that is just work in another disguise, so feel I really haven't gotten any time off... We're about to head into spring planting season and it will be another stretch of only one day off at a time. Ugh. I feel for you!