Monday, December 01, 2008

Christmas News

Mrs A is in Christmas heaven right now.
Her son, Rick and family are flying up from Utah for two weeks at Christmas. We don't see nearly ehough of them. They are a stable, enjoyable bunch, and consequently don't receive enough attention from us. The ones that are unstable, in crisis, hurting and in chaos get all the attention. Because they are stable and reliable, we don't expend as much energy on them as on the others. We have always felt a little guilty that we don't pay them more attention.
They will spend most of their time here, so we need to make some plans, figure out how to house them, figure out menus and entertainment.
I will enjoy the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the grandkids. I almost always get along well with children. Mrs A will tell you that this is most likely because I am just a big kid myself. I don't deny this, because I think it is a good thing to have a sense of wonder like a child. Sometimes this is not a good thing. Like when I think "I wonder what would happen if...?" Bad things can happen after that.
Just yesterday I was wondering.
I have this paint additive that makes the Z turn from emerald green to cobalt blue depending on the direction of the light. It is a powder of very fine crystals. I was wondering what would happen if you put some of the powder in the microwave. Now that I had this thought, I wonder if I can resist the urge to find out.
If I am going to do this, it should be done before the guests arrive.
But then, maybe there are some questions that don't need to be answered.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I am constantly amazed at how "normal" John turned out, given that all his brothers and sisters were the unstable, constantly needing attention sort.

Enjoy your time with your relatives and revel in the normalcy of the holiday!

Al said...

Sarah: I come from a very stable "Normal" family. It wasn't until I went out into the world that I realized how very few families are "Normal". I love getting together with them, and our get togethers are always a blast.

sue said...

Glad about the visit... other than that? Step.Away.From.The.Microwave.

'nuf said.

Anonymous said...

It depends... do you need an excuse to get a shiny new microwave?

Al said...

Sue: But it might be way cool, with explosions and fire and stuff.

NCP: I think I should have a spare microwave to experiment with anyway. I don't really need to explain to Mrs A WHY we need a new micro.