Friday, December 05, 2008

Damn Kids Anyway

Not that anyone but me really cares, but I have been working on a book for several years. Parts of what I have written please me, parts do not.
There is a link to it over there on the side bar. It is titled "STAR". I have not added anything to it for several months. I have it on a portable drive. I have been working on a couple of new chapters, and was about ready to add them to the blog.
My little red memory stick that I had the book on disappeared.
We're talking hundreds of hours of work here.
Disappeared.
V. borrowed it without my permission.
I bought him his own portable memory so he could transport his school projects around, but he lost that, so therefore it was OK to borrow and lose mine, too.
I suppose it is partly my fault for not backing up the memory stick, for not storing it on my hard drive, for leaving the memory stick laying around.
But still, he should know better.
I will have to go into the blog and chapter by chapter copy it out of the blog and load it on to a new memory stick, reformat it, make corrections. The unpublished stuff is just lost.
Damn Kids Anyway

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, so sorry! Though I can't relate to losing quite that much work, I do get frustrated when I've entered a ton of data into Excel and it freezes, so I feel your pain.

Good luck rewriting it--hopefully it comes out better the second time!!

Rick said...

That's how I lost the seventies.

Al said...

Sarah: I was kinda stuck on where I was going with the story, so maybe it will just be a chance to get a fresh start.

Rick: Different memory devices, but I lost parts of the late sixties.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh that SUCKS!

I have a book I'm working on too and I am HORRIBLE about saving it. Every once in a while, I copy and paste the whole damn thing and e-mail it to myself and store it in my e-mail just in case.

Well, even though I know you have a lot of work ahead of you, you still have most of your story in the blog, right?

Al said...

PQ: I spent most of last night copying and saving the things I had published on the blog, so it is not all lost. Now I need to go back and edit it and reformat it and put it on a memory stick. I still need to read it and try to figure out where I am going.