Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Different Kind of Christmas

Things are going to be a little different for the Warren Family this Christmas.
We normally have a gift exchange among the adults. Everyone puts their name in a hat, and you withdraw a name. There is a minimum amount you can spend. It keeps shopping to a minimum, and instead of everyone buying for everyone, you only have to buy one gift. I am all in favor of less complicated, and you get one nice gift instead of a bunch of smaller gifts. You can put in as a couple or as individuals.
This year there will be no gift exchange.
Instead, each person is going to make a cash donation, and the funds will be donated to the food bank. With the economy in shambles and a lot of people doing without basic necessities, there is a lot of pressure on the available resources. Fewer people are giving, and more people are in need.
There is no minimum, just give what you can afford.
I believe it was my older brother's idea, and it has been enthusiastically embraced by the whole family.
It makes me proud to be a member of my family.
Of course the kids will still get presents, but it's all about the kids anyway.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, how lovely of you all!! May have to put the idea to my family, although I'll also admit to being enough of the "kid mindset" that, well, no presents? Alas, alack. But helping people should trump that!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That's an EXCELLENT idea. The PK and I haven't done Christmas for each other in years...to stressful.

This year, with all the crap going on, I think Santa is going to completely by-pass Central Florida....and I won't mind at all.

Al said...

Sarah: Sometimes they surprise me, but it really doesn't cost us anything mmore, and we will all feel like we have done something for the greater good.

PQ: Christmas is not my favorite Holiday. I hate the hype and materialism. At least this way we can all feel good about it.

rennratt said...

I LOVE the idea. My husband, on the other hand, fears that it makes him a bad spouse if he doesn't buy for me. HE will NOT accept a 'no present' rule.

Instead, we are completing "Blanket Bundles" for a local drive. It's a new blanket (we're making 'em) with canned goods tied inside. Food goes to the local food pantry; the blankets go to the homeless.

Al said...

Renn: I was impressed with how enthusiastically everyone embraces the idea. What's weird is that no one will take credir for coming up with the idea. And good stuff you are doing.