Saturday, November 15, 2008

Union Contract

SPEEA and Boeing have come to a tentative agreement for a new contract. The Union is recommending that the Membership accept the offer. Very seldom does the membership trump the leadership, so I am expecting the contract to easily pass.
I have to compliment both sides for negotiating the best possible deal given the circumstances. After all of the early posturing and bombast, they did an effective job of representing their interests.
Is it an outstanding contract? No.
Is it a crappy contract? No.
Is it fair and reasonable? Absolutely.
I am relieved. As I mentioned before, I had already started a strike contingency fund, and had saved up enough for a couple of months. I was dreading the whole on-strike-and-picketing thing.
Of course I haven't seen the entire offer yet, but I seriously doubt that there are any hidden bombs in the text. Mind you, I will read the entire thing just to make sure.
Trust your fellow man, but count your change.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

And now your rainy day fun can be for something else, hopefully something fun!

Congrats to all, and mind the fine print!

Al said...

Sarah: The rainy day fund probably just became the truck fund, We'll have to see. Maybe I'll split it half and half.

Rick said...

Dude. Five percent a year in each of four years? A twenty percent raise in four fucking years? Tell me I heard that wrong.

Al said...

Rick: You read it correctly. Only 2 1/2 percent is guaranteed. The rest mostly goes to the asskissers and suckups. Sill better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.