Wednesday, November 05, 2008

History

Even though I don't usually use my blog to voice my political opinions, I couldn't help but take a moment to reflect on the election.
This is truly an historic occasion. Obama has been given a mandate by the American People. A strong message has been sent that we expect change. I would not have his job for all the gold in China. Nor power or prestige. I wish him the very best in a difficult situation. Clearly changes need to be made in the direction our country is travelling. The populace has felt for some time that the Government is not listening. Why get involved when all they are going to do is tell you to sit down and shut up, and any other option is not patriotic.
I believe you will see a wave of people volunteering to help out, because they sense that there is something good doing on here and they want to be a part of it.
Clearly, people felt strongly enough that they have already joined. Voter turnouts were high. We all participated in the process. I believe this is not just an election, but a turning point in the path of The United States. Maybe the world.
If asked, I would not have bet that we would see a multi-racial man in the White House. It is a measure of how far we have come as a nation when the mandate of this great nation is handed to a multi-racial individual. Obama is truly a man of the world. I think his election has done more to improve the image of the country than any event in the last eight years.
My thoughts and prayers will be with him as he tries to find the best path through our present difficulties. I pray he finds the strength to keep his eye on the goals and not be discouraged by the inevitable nay-sayers, that he has the support and advice he needs to make the most informed decisions. That his party and cabinet supply him with the best information, and that he listens to the right people.
I am proud of our country and our people.

And now we return you to our normally scheduled sarcasm.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen.

Michael said...

I'm with you Al. I just hope that no one thinks it's going to be all puppy dogs and rainbows just because of Obama. Like the man said in his speech last night, it's not just about him, it's about all of us. And we're all going to have to pitch in to change the direction of the country. That's going to take hard work and sacrifice, I hope people realize that. As for me, it's an investment I'm willing to make...

Al said...

Sarah: It is an interresting time ti live in.

Michael: For the first time in a long time, people have hope. I think there will be a lot of people come forward and offer to help. It will be a long uphill battle to turn things around, but a he said "YES, WE CAN!"