Thursday, January 19, 2006

New Years resolutions

Every year, I make the same New Years Resolution. I resolve to not make a New years Resolution, thereby making my new Years Resolution, and breaking if simultaneously. Talk about efficient. It's not that I have no issues, it is just that I believe it is bad,bad mojo to make resolutions unless you are of the proper frame of mind to actually stick with them. Last year, after smoking all my life (really, I got caught smoking the first time when I was 6), I quit. Picked a day, made a plan and just did it. I still smoke an occasional cigarette, but not regularly. I think the reason I was successful was that I went on second shift, so all my habit markers were gone. Since I got up at a different time, ate at different times, went to bed at a different time, I was able to break the behavior.

I am still a little too fond of alcohol, but not disastrously so. I suppose it would be best if I picked a date and made a plan, but I really have no incentive to do so. I have told Mrs. A. That if it ever bothers her in any way, I would give it up. One of my favorite quotes is from Benjamin Franklin: "Beer is proof that God Loves us".

On that note, I depart. Just remember, "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese".

2 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

This is SO sad that I'm going to admit this but it took me almost a minute to figure out what the hell that "the second mouse gets the cheese" meant.

Apparently, I need more coffee.

Cute saying though...I'd never heard that before! :)

Al said...

Yeah, it's a humm dinger. As in HUH??? and then the little light goes DING!!!