Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rule of thumb

I got up this morning in this Kick-Ass-and-don't-bother-to-take-names mood. I had a couple of problems at work where paperwork was not up to my standards, and I was going to see that it got changed or else. I have a can of Whoop Ass and a four pound dead blow hammer on my desk and I use them as a learning tool.

When I get here all set for a good knuckle and skull session, everyone has been all nice all day. Maybe they could sense the mood I am in. Anyway, when I was laying out my expectations, I used the phrase "as a rule of thumb" which means to act to a loose set of standards, and I wondered where it had come from.

Prepare yourself for MORE USELESS INFORMATION!

IN Medieval times, society was not so civilized as it is now, but there were some standards. IN this case, a man was allowed to beat his wife. I mean it was not a crime or anything. However there were limitations. He could only use a branch "no bigger than his thumb". Hence "Rule of thumb.

I don't think it would be wise to try this on Mrs A. I mean, I do have to sleep sometime.

3 comments:

Daphnewood said...

that is why I cut my husband's thumbs off before we got married ;)

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

You're a smart man, Al....that's EXACTLY what I tell The PK..."You have to sleep sometime!

:)

Al said...

It's like I say in my sidebar profile, I can occasionslly follow a chain of thought to it's logical conclusion.