Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Lake Quinault

I remember a morning at the Lodge so clearly, it is a part of a little mental slide show I carry around in my head.

I had gotten up at 6:00 in the morning. We were staying in the Boathouse, so I went out on the veranda. It seemed like I was the only one in the world awake. The dew was heavy on the grass and there was just the faint smell of woodsmoke in the air.

I sat in a wicker chair and smoked a cigarette. It was so calm that the smoke barely drifted in the morning breeze. I blew a smoke ring and it held together for a long time as it drifted south.

Smoke finished, I got up and wandered down to the dock on Lake Quinault. The water was so calm it looked like a sheet of glass. Small fish were rising to the morning hatch, dimpling the surface here and there. Out in the middle of the lake, a bit of surface fog slowly drifted across the water. The far shore of the lake was obscured, cleared, was obscured. It was absolutely quiet.

I turned back to look at the Lodge and the rise of the lawn. Nothing moved. A sole set of footprints dotted the lawn. Mine.

I caught a suggestion of movement off to my left and watched as a pair of carp came out of the shadows, moving South, working the shallows. The must have been six or seven ounds apiece, moving with no effort, drifting along.

I heard a noise behind me, sounding like a splatter of rain and as I turned, caught the shimmer of a school of small fish jumped in a wave, a lot like when fans do "The Wave" at sports events. The wave of fingerlings jumping started at the North and went South. This was repeated multiple times, accompanied by a "Whish" sound as they jumped. No doubt there was a larger fish below them looking for his breakfast. I stood there, absolutely still, drinking in the moment.

Eventually all was still, and I wandered back up to the Boat House, and slipped in, to see you laying there, faint hint of a smile on your lips, hair spilled across the pillow.

I go back there to visit when things get cramped and complicated.

4 comments:

An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

What a lovely place to be able to go to - whenever you want!

xxxxxxxxxx

Daphnewood said...

Al! You're a romantic! I would have never guessed. What a pleasant surprise. You totally lulled me with that post. I guess your hypnotizing skills go beyond just chickens ;)

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That's a beautiful picture you painted there for us...:)

Al said...

Extraordinary woman: It is one of several places I can go. I'll probably post others.

Daphnewood: My wife has repeatedly accused me of being Romantic. I catagorically deny this, at least when in the presence of other males.

Stacy: I only wish I could do the moment justice. This is the first time I attempted to write it down, and it has its weaknesses.