Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Welcome to the Monkey House

Which is by the way a title to a book by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

It also describes our home lately.

Step-daughter L. and her companion and out grandkid are in the middle of finding new accommodations. So they are now residing in the spare bedroom. The last time this was tried, it ended in disaster. Mrs. A. and her daughter should not attempt to live under the same roof.

We helped them move on Saturday. They had been sharing a two bedroom appartment with another young couple, and it didn't work, so they came to us. Robert Frost in "The Death of the Hired Man" says "Home is the place where, when you go there, they have to take you in" . Right on brother!

While we were moving, I took a load out to the Blazer, and when I came back to find Mrs. A. out in the hallway, looking upset. I overheard L. yelling "You don't disrespect MY mom!". I went to Mrs. A. and asked "Can I go in there and kick his ass?" I really really wanted to. But she told me to calm down and not bring myself down to his level, so I had to forego the pleasure.

I was ready. I mean I was not happy with the kids moving in, I was not happy about having to move them in the pouring rain, and I sure as HELL wasn't happy with their punk room mate disrespecting my wife. I still thik I should have gone in there and made his nose point in a different direction.

Sunday was Easter so I went to Church to keep centered. I was in dire need of some Churchifyin'. Everyone survived so it must have worked.

5 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Glad you kept your cool...:) I can't say first hand but that has got to be a tough thing to deal with.

I know at my house I am constantly trying to keep the peace between The PK and my mom (who lives with us). It sure ain't easy....:)

Daphnewood said...

at least your DIL was sticking up for her mother. I don't understand how homeless people can act so rudely when people are doing them a favor by opening up their home. Do they think the streets would be easier? I hope their stay is brief and your family remains intact. I'll be praying for you.

Al said...

Stacy: I really didn't WANT to keep my cool. Guess that's one of the reasons I keep Mrs. A. around. She keeps me civilized.

daphnewood: The last time we let them stay it came real close to domestic violence, and it was me that had to separate Mrs. A. and her daughter. You can't help people that don't want to change.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »