Monday, September 17, 2007

Emancipation II

It was as much fun as I had anticipated.

V went to a fund raiser for the debate team on Sunday. It was at Emerald Downs, a local horse racing track.

First question:

"Does this in any way involve betting on the ponies, because no matter what good tips you have, it isn't a sure thing."

"Grampa, we are just handing out bruchures and stuff.

"Well, OK. By the way, I don't want to hear any more of this "Emancipation" shit. You have no idea what the hell you are talking about."

""I do to. I hate the idea that I have no rights!"

"Do you really understand what that means?"

"Of course. I have done my research."

"Well, where are you going to live?"

""With you of course."

"Sorry, kid, but I have no obligation to provide you with housing. $400 bucks a month for the room. And by the way, unless you pay for part of the electrical bill, no electricity to your room. I have a circuit breaker, and I'm not afraid to use it."

"But that's not fair!"

"Oh yes it is. If you are an emancipated adult, you are responsible for your own expenses."

At this point his eyes started getting a little large.

"And by the way, the bed you are sleeping in does not belong to you. That includes all the furniture and everything."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Nope. If you want a soda, you can buy your own. All that food that you like. Pay to play. Plus we have minimum cleanliness requiremment. If you want to stay here, you have to meet them or get out."

He started turning a little green around the gills.

"A judge has to grant you emancipation. Why would he do that? My parents make me do dishes? Don't think so"

I don't think I'll be hearing about emancipation any time soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! He wants to be an emancipated minor, but still live with you. Too funny.

I think the emancipation laws are great. They are there to protect kids who are getting totally screwed by the adults who claim to be responsible for them.

Having to do the dishes every day does not fall into that category.

sue said...

PERFECT. I think you're my new idol.

Michael said...

Heh heh, score one for the good guys! Yeah, most kids these days have no clue about real hardship.

Al said...

NCP: I have known kids where the emancipation laws were apropriate, but V. isn't one of them.

Sue: and I had a good time doing it, too.

Michael: He is such an opinionated little snot, that I enjoyed giving him a reality check.

rennratt said...

The next time I am negotiating at work, I am calling YOU.

Al said...

Renn: Funny you shoud mention that. My sister is a Union Negotiator for the Teamsters.

I keep telling her she's going to wake up some day at the bottom of the lake with cement overshoes.