Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Tough Love

The phone rang a little after midnight. It was my daughter R. calling from the hospital. She has spent the summer being a live-in babysitter for a long time friend. He went off on her and messed her up.

She babbled along semi-coherently for about five minutes, and then hung up on me. I called back and tried to calm her down but she hung up on me again.

I couldn't just go get her, because she is not allwed at home until she apollogizes to Mrs A. for threatening to kill her. She refuses to apollogize. I have told her repeatedly what she needs to do to set things back on track. She ignores me.

I know the right thing to do is let her roast in her own juices, to stay the course until she comes around.

So why do I feel like shit?

9 comments:

Rick said...

It's what we do. What's best for them isn't always best for us. But it's the right thing to do.

Al said...

Rick: I know what is the right thing to do for the long run, but that doesn't make it any easier.

rennratt said...

You feel badly because she's your daughter, and you love her.

As I repeatedly tell my co-worker: She is simply having an 'adult' version of a temper tantrum.

She wants to deal with you on HER terms, by HER rules, and with no regard to the feelings of others.

As hard as it is, stand your ground. She will be the better for it.

Hang in there.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Rick said it all....very well put.

Al said...

Renn: Even though it is difficult, I am one of the most determined people you will ever meet. Thanks for the support.

PQ: Rick knows what he's talkin' about.

Anonymous said...

Tough love is tough on everyone.

Stick it out... YOU are right here.

Al said...

NCP: Thanks. I spent all day yesterday wanting to call her, but I knew that if I did, it might help her now, but in the long run it would be wrong, and besides, it would end up just making me feel worse.

~grey said...

no one told us... that parenting would be so hard.

i am beginning to think that the 'adult' years are the hardest of all.

Al said...

~d~ The best years are supposed to be the Grandparent years. Only thing is I took him in and spoiled him rotten and forgot to send him back.