Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Grandkids

I like being a grandpa. In fact I liked it so much that I adopted my first grandkid. Now there are times I wish I could give him back. Just for a couple of years until he turns 18. He is 15 now.

Oh to be fifteen again and know everything. The older I get the more I realize how little I know.

I am still all twisted around the idea of my daughter being pregnant. I love kids. It is so great watching them on their journey of discovery. Everything is fresh and new. As we age we lose that joy of discovery. The attitude becomes more "Been there, Done that" than "What exciting new thing will I discover today?" Having kids around reminds me how joyous it is to look at things with fresh eyes.

R. is going on 23, so she is old enough for kids. Maybe it will settle her down when she realizes that this wonderful new life she has helped create has needs that are more pressing than hers.

Time will tell.

4 comments:

sue said...

Kids do keep you "fresh"... give you new perspectives on things. From the time they are little, through those "know-it-all" teens and on into adulthood. (I have four grown kids and a 9-yr-old grandson). I, like you, hope your daughter realizes what she has.

Al said...

Sue: I think she will love being a mother. She has always been great with other people's kids. I just hope she can find a stable situation, for her good as well as the kid's.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I miss all that innocence...that magic of "I believe in the tooth fairy and Santa and the Easter Bunny, etc."

Al said...

PQ: At least they can be replaced with "I believe in love, justice faith" and other intangibles.