Thursday, May 22, 2008

Getting worn out

I am struggling right now. I am tired and cranky. Things that normally wouldn't bother me get under my skin.

The senior lead in our section is a malignancy. Mind you he is very technically competent and has a ton of experience. But no one is good enough for him. He constantly berates everyone around him.

He lays off of me, because we have a history, and he knows he won't win. I am one of the few people he treats straight forward. Last night he was bad mouthing the workers on second shift. They are incompetent and nonproductive. The truth is they are brand new and untrained. Of course his remarks got back to my crew and they were a little steamed. I let them know that I think they are doing a fine job, given their lack of training and experience. I told them I would handle it.

I sent a nastygram to our mutual boss, basically to say that I thought it was inappropriate for the senior lead to make remarks where other people could hear. He is entitled to his opinion, but that's all it is, and it would serve the group better if he were to confine his remarks to private conversation.

I know I am tired and grumpy, so I am going to have to watch myself tonight, ot I might uncork the genie.

I SOOOOOO need some time off.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you handled the situation well.

In the meantime, got any weeds that need whacking? Feel free to name them after Mr. Meanie and then cut them down to size. :)

Al said...

Sarah: I have a fender that needs to be pounded out. Maybe I'll sketch his face on the fender an go at it with a ballpeen hammer.

Rick said...

No shit, Sherlock. Pound the hell outta it.

Al said...

Rick: Hafta exert at least a little restraint unless I want to ruin the fender.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

So, did you "geniefy" them or what?

Al said...

PQ: After my nastygram to management, the malignancy was walking mighty small yesterday. i would guess the boss had a little talk with him.

sue said...

I find it so admirable of you to stand up for your crew. Good for you.

Hope you get some time off this weekend!

Al said...

Sue: Thanks. In public I will back them all the way. In private I may kick some ass. I am taking all three days off. Going to a family reunion in Oregon, so while it probably won't be real restful, it will be a good break.

rennratt said...

Mean people are bad enough. Mean BOSSES are altogether different. And worse.

Thank you for sticking up for the newbies.

Al said...

Renn: I have to live up to what I believe, and I have been both the boss and bosee. I have a strong idea of what is fair, and I stnad by it.