Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

First the good:

R. delivered a new life into the world this morning at 1:09.

Isaiah is 7lbs, 14oz and 20" long. Holding a brand new human in your arms makes for a good day. Afterwards Mrs A and I went into the International District for lunch and a little wandering around before I went to work. A great morning

except for

The BAD. I was down by the hospital looking for a parking spot, and this asshat behind me kept honking his horn, and I don't mean once or twice, after about the fiftieth time, I stopped the car, and he pushed down on the horn and kept it there.
I put the car in neutral and was getting ready to get out when he backed up and buzzed around me, giving me a sign that he felt I was number one.

The Ugly

I had mde up my mind that I was going to go back and beat the crap out of this asshole. I had it all planned out. My hand was on the door handle. I was going to go back there and motion for him to get out of the car. When one foot hit the ground, I was going to cross body block the door shut on his leg. It it didn't break it would definitely be hurting. Then I was going to drag him out of the car and pound the crap out of him. There was no thought of consequences, no remorse. I would gleefully kick him in the ribs when he was down.

This scares the heck out of me. It is something that is lurking way down below the surface that I forget it is there until something like this happens.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations to R! And you and the family!

Also, at least you recognized "the ugly" and didn't follow through. We all have those moments where we want to do serious harm to others. You're only the monster if you carry through with it. I'm guess that with the stress of work and R's labor and all, you may have just found your tipping point. So long as you don't fall over the edge, you'll be okay.

Deep breaths!

Al said...

Sarah: I recognize that when I work long hours under stressful conditions that I get pushed a little close to the edge. I've always managed to catch myself before the long plunge, but it has been real close a couple of times. When I was a kid, there was no hesitation.

It was way cool to hold my new grandson.

~grey said...

congrats on the new little one in the family... always a joy to hold.

I am glad it didn't get to the 'ugly' stage... but some people need to relax and stop being in such a rush. Or at least stop acting like they are the only ones in the world.... I just shake my head when these idiots emerge. You handled it well.

Rick said...

I'm guessing the guy behind you had run out of anti-psychotics and was in for a refill.

Al said...

`grey: So innocent and fresh. A clean soul and a blank slate. A whole new life to be explored.

As far as the idiot goes, what could he have been late for that was so important it required him to such a jerk? He needed to stop and smell a newborn.

Rick: Either that or his meth was at war with his Ritalin.

rennratt said...

Congratulations on the blessing!

The ugly? I don't know WHAT is wrong with people. I was in the turn lane (with the blinker on) and was almost RUN DOWN by some psycho who decided I wasn't going quickly enough...with a vehicle coming right at me in the other lane!

Al said...

Renn: Why are people in such a hurry? Like lemmings we are driven to race at full speed right off the cliff. When you slow down a little, someone is sure to take offence.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Isaiah - what a lovely name.

Al said...

ncp: I like old fashioned traditional names. It's a good strong name.