Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thursdays suck

Now that I am back in the thick of the fray, it is like I never left. Days of the week don't matter much when you are working seven days a week. Sometimes I have to stop and ask Mrs A. what day of the week it is.

Thursdays are a little harder than the average, because I don't get to see Mrs A at all. She is gone when I get up, then she does volunteer work ar Group Health. She doesn't get home until after I am at work. It is no huge deal, just makes for a harder day.

On the other hand, today is payday. It makes for a healthy paycheck with all the overtime.

There are six weeks left until the first P8-A rolls out of the factory. July 3rd is the rollout, so between now and then it will just get more crazy as it gets closer to the doors. Every new problem becomes a crisis, as there is no time to react.

Look at it this way. You have a five pound bag. Eack day produces a pound of crap. On a good day you can also process a pound of crap. But not all days are good days, so some times you only process a half a pound. Sometimes there are days when you only get in a half a pound and process a pound, and make up some time. But you are always counting on having more light days to catch up.

Right about now you realize that there is just no way you are going to get everything done by the time the thing rolls out. Your five pound bag is full, you don't have any more bags, and the crap still rolls in. There are no extra resources.

So you slog away at the stuff that needs to be done, keep focused on the goal, and for God's sake don't let it get to you. Peoples tempers are getting short, because they are worn out, and the pace doesn't slow down.

Anybody got a spare five pound bag they aren't using?

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't know where I read this quote, but it sounds like what you're going through:

"This deal sounds like ten pounds of crap in a five-pound crap pie."

I'd loan you a bag if I could.

Al said...

Sarah: the way I heard it was "Trying to put ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag.

Rick said...

Reminds me of the old "I Love Lucy" episode where she can't keep up with the candy conveyor belt, so she starts eating... ew, forget I mentioned it.

Al said...

Rick: What'r you tryin' to suggest here?

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh, I've got plenty o' crap...just no bags either.

Least NOW it's Friday...I'm sweeping all MY excess crap under the rug and getting out of here at 4:30 today.

Al said...

PQ: No rest for the wicked. I'll be working both days this weekend.

sue said...

If I had it, I'd certainly send it your way!

Al said...

Sue: Until then, I jusst keep shoveling...