Monday, March 23, 2009

A Bitch Of a Day

Things started out bad and got worse.

One of the shop people came up to me with a question about how to install a certain electrical connector. I was not familiar with this particular type of connector, so my partner and I spent some time looking up the drawings and assembly specs. She wanted to know if they needed to install a washer between the connector and structure. I said no, but told them they had better check with an expert.
Said "Expert" came down to the shop floor and proceeded to read me the riot act and basically told everyone I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. She brandished a page out of a document and said "See, it shows right here a washer is required."
After she left, I went to the spec and looked it up. I was sure I had checked thoroughly. Sure enough, the page she was using was for a totally different type of connector. So I went to beard the lioness in her lair.
After pointing out to her that she was on the totally wrong page of the spec, I showed her the right page, which doesn't require a washer. I did it very diplomatically, and ended with, "But I am not the expert. We will ask the Spec Engineer to make the call."
He came out and off the cuff said that the washer was required. I just said, fine, show me the requirement, and the part number so we can order them. He wanted me to revise the planning to call out a washer, and I refused, saying that we do not call out parts in the bill of material that are provided by a process spec. The parts Guru was standing right there, and he agreed with me, so once again I asked the Engineer to provide me with a part number, and a specific spec. He left and went to dig out the information.
He came back about a half an hour later, kinda red faced and said "A washer is not required" and walked off.
Maybe next time they will think twice before challenging my technical expertise.
But it was still a very trying day. I did not indulge in the impulse to lay a big "I told you so" on them.
But I was really worked up, and I thought "I think I'll stop by the Booze Emporium on the way home, I could use a good stiff drink."
The truck wouldn't start, so I was out in the drizzle trying to figure out what was going on. Same problem as before. I had put the battery on the charger last night, so I know it wasn't the battery. I futzed around with the connections with no luck. A guy I know came by and offered a jump, but it didn't do anything. A couple of guys came by and gave me a push. Since it is a stick shift, it will start right up if you give it a little push.
It started right up, but there would be no stopping on the way home.
Maybe it was a good thing, given the mood I was in, I might have overindulged.
Tomorrow will be a better day.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oo, I certainly hope tomorrow will be better for you.

Also sorry to see Washington lose this weekend-both for my bracket and for you! Hopefully next year will be even better for them.

Al said...

Sarah: Bound to be better today.
The Huskies lost by two, so it wasn't like they got whupped or anything. PAC 10 Champs is OK.

Rick said...

Dude, bookmark this post. It's going to make you laugh your ass off one day REAL soon. Trust me. Getting shit-faced over intentional arrogance and a WASHER is friggin' hilarious!
I understand, I really do. But it's still hilarious.

Al said...

Rick: I hear you. When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is difficult to remember that they original objective was to drain the swamp.